Wednesday, December 28, 2022

"Sea on the Wall" Forever. The Old Man and the Sea


"Sea on the Wall" Forever

Mural inspired by Ernest Hemingway's Pulitzer Prize novel, 
The Old Man and the Sea
                                                      
 Mural by Dr Abe V Rotor


I love to paint the sea, the sea
     when I was young,
as young today in my memory,
     and after I'm gone.

"Sea on the Wall" Mural detail, A V Rotor 2015 at author's residence 
in Lagro QC (30ft x 15ft)

Quotations from 
The Old Man and the Sea
By Ernest Hemingway

Everything about him was old except his eyes, and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated.

“Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”

“But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”

“Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.”

“Let him think that I am more man than I am and I will be so.”

“Why do old men wake so early? Is it to have one longer day?”

The thousand times he had proved it meant nothing. Now he was proving it again.

He no longer dreamed of storms, nor of women, nor of great occurrences, nor of great fish, nor fights, nor contests of strength, nor of his wife. He only dreamed of places now and of the lions on the beach. They played like young cats in the dusk and he loved them as he loved the boy.

“I may not be as strong as I think, but I know many tricks and I have resolution.”

“If the others heard me talking out loud they would think that I am crazy. But since I am not crazy, I do not care.”

“No one should be alone in their old age, he thought.”

You did not kill the fish only to keep alive and to sell for food, he thought. You killed him for pride and because you are a fisherman. You loved him when he was alive and you loved him after. If you love him, it is not a sin to kill him. Or is it more? ~


No comments:

Post a Comment