Monday, August 20, 2018

Adventures in Glass Painting

A broken glass painting speaks of the destruction 
of our living planet in our own hands. 
Dr Abe V Rotor
avrotor.blogspot.com

I accidentally dropped this glass painting while spraying a fixative on it.  At first I thought of throwing it away, and paint a replica of it.  You really can't make the same piece of art, although you can copy it.  The original is original.  On closer examination, something came out of my mind: the painting has a different message and meaning now that it's broken. But what is it?   To me it speaks of nature, of our ecosystem being threatened, of deforestation, global warming, and the destruction of  our living planet on land, water and air, as represented by the three broken pieces of glass. 

I almost gave up painting this piece because I had only two of the three primary colors.  I lacked yellow which, when combined with blue, produces green.  On the other hand, I had a lot of red which produces pink to brown in various hues and shades with white.  Lesson: Always have ample primary colors on hand. What saved this painting is a spray paint of yellow which converted some light shades of blue into green. While it subtly broke its monochromatic appearance, it also subdued its freshness and purity.  Paintings often suggest meaning to our everyday experiences.  Hamburger, anyone? 

1 comment:

  1. You did an amazing job using glass spraying and painting. Thank you for sharing this creative post with us.

    ReplyDelete