Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Tippler's World - How Lonely, How Sad

 Tippler's World  - How Lonely, How Sad

Drunkenness has become serious among the poor and the rich as  well, in fact the whole profile of society.  It is a popular way of escape. Escape from what? 

Dr Abe V Rotor


"Oh, youth don't be fooled, 
I drank. smoked, gambled,
with women I couldn't hold
power, wealth I grew  bold;
'til I reached a crossroad;    
decide, go on, I was told;
drunk, I didn't hear a word,  
until I grew very old."
          - Confession of a tippler
as related to the author. 

*The next planet was inhabited by a tippler.  This was a very short visit, but it plunged the little prince into deep dejection. 
Hugh (Barnaby Rudge), character of Charles Dickens' novel set during the Gordon Riots of 1780 in England.

"What are you doing here?" he said to the tippler. whom he found settled down in silence before a collection of empty bottles and also a collection of full bottles.

"I am drinking," replied the tippler with a lugubrious air.


"Why are you drinking?" demanded the little prince.

"So that I may forget." replied the tippler.


"Forget what?" inquired the little prince, who already was sorry for him.


"So that I may forget." replied the tippler.

"Forget what?  inquired the little prince..


"Forget that I am ashamed." the tippler confessed hanging his head.


"Ashamed of what?" insisted the little prince, who wanted to help him.


"Ashamed of drinking!" The tippler brought his speech to an end, and shut himself up in an impregnable silence.


And the little prince went away, puzzled.


"The grownups are certainly very. very odd." he said to himself, as he continued on his journey.~ 

*Chapter XII of The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Impressions on Drunkenness


"Evidence...proves that prohibition only drives drunkenness behind doors and into dark places, and does not cure it or even diminish it."

- Letter to San Francisco Alta California, 7/28/1867

“There are hours for rest, and hours for wakefulness; nights for sobriety and nights for drunkenness—(if only so that possession of the former allows us to discern the latter when we have it; for sad as it is, no human body can be happily drunk all the time).”
― Roman Payne, Rooftop Soliloquy

“You were just supposed to be a one night stand but you poked my eye, and kissed me sweet and listened to my car. Now, I kinda wanna keep you.”
― Lola Stark, Tattered Love

“Intoxicated? The word did not express it by a mile. He was oiled, boiled, fried, plastered, whiffled, sozzled, and blotto.”
― P.G. Wodehouse, Meet Mr. Mulliner

“Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Quotations from literary geniuses, Omar Khayyam and Edgar Allan Poe, known for their literary masterpieces they wrote when sober.

Omar Khayyam, Rubaiyat 

 "A BOOK of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread—and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness—
O, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"


Edgar Allan Poe, known for "being drunk while he wrote."

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
We loved with a love that was more than love.
Quote the raven, "Nevermore!" ~

No comments:

Post a Comment