Monday, July 29, 2019

My Childhood - the Glorious Age of Comics

My Childhood - the Glorious Age of Comics 
Dr Abe V Rotor 


On discovering old newspapers of the fifties
backing of picture frames for cleaning,
I found myself a child again learning to read
on my dad's lap listening.    

In my sunset years I look back at my heroes:
Rusty Riley, Joe Palooka the boxer, 
Buz Sawyer the detective, and Long Sam -
Abe Lincoln alike - four scores after.

No computer then, TV and even radio rare,
Newspapers still fresh the day after,
Happenings weren't far from home and town,
Childhood was longer and happier.

Some popular comic strips in the 50s, Manila Bulletin
  • Rusty Riley
  • Blondie 
  • Gasoline Alley 
  • Buz Sawyer
  • Joe Palooka
  • Moon Mullins 
  • Long Sam
  • Pugo
These are photos of comic strips of Manila Bulletin my dad subscribed before WW II and resumed in 1946.  I was a preschooler then. Comics were my first reading companions, Illustrated Classics (famous novels like Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Huckleberry Finn), and comic strips and cartoons of Manila Bulletin. These have taken the backseat, many totally lost, in the age modern entertainment and communication, principally with the TV, Internet through the computer, and lately social media (smart phones.)



No comments:

Post a Comment