Thursday, September 1, 2016

Paper wasps on the run!

 Or was it the other way around?

Dr Abe V Rotor

This happened to me -  rather, this is what I did, when I was five or six - perhaps younger, because I don’t know up to now why I attacked a colony of putakti or alimpipinig (Ilk). (No reference to Don Quixote attacking a windmill, in a novel of the same title by Miguel de Cervantes.)

It was raw courage called bravado when you put on courage on something without weighing the consequences. It was hatred dominating reason, motivated by revenge. 


I was sweeping the yard near a chico tree when I suddenly felt pain above my eye. No one had ever warned me of paper wasps, and I hadn’t been stung before. I retreated, instinctively got a bikal bamboo and attacked their papery nest, but every time I got close to it I got stung.  I don’t know how many times I attacked the enemy, each time with more fury, and more stings, until dad spotted me to his surprise.  I struggled under his strong arms sobbing. 

I was lucky, kids my size can’t take many stings. There are cases bee poison can cause the heart to stop. ~

No comments:

Post a Comment