Monday, January 20, 2020

Test the power of your third eye and eighth sense of naturalism.

Test the power of your third eye 
and eighth sense of naturalism. 
Can you identify these enigmatic creatures?  

Dr Abe V Rotor

I cling to the leaves on the nether side,
gnawing on its edible part, a parchment I create
to make a shingle out of it which I carry on my back, 
then transfer nearby for the next meal,
and another shingle, until I look like a pagoda 
sans base, moving from place to place, growing,
then I stop and rest; I remain in stupor.
then metamorphose, leaving my domain - 
I am male and I have wings to find a mate;
the female is wingless, she waits for a mate
at her door, lucky for me - for a brief romance,
then she withdraws into her temple
now a maternal nest, and our life cycle is complete.  
What am I?  
   

Obnoxious I look and smell no one dares to get near,
much less to pick me neither by beak nor tongue,   
for my enemies are few, so my friends - if I know;
you see, if you are ugly and dirty no one bothers you,
like anyone else not excluding some humans;
but in my case Nature designed me this way, 
and she thinks I'm beautiful, to me it is a gift of life;
surviving a cruel world.  I rest now and someday
I'll metamorphose into something beautiful 
in the eyes of humans, so beautiful and dainty
no one will ever ask what I was before.
What am I? 

Answers: Cryptothelea heckmeyeri Heyl (pagoda bagworm), will metamorphose into a moth; Papilio alphenor caterpillar on citrus leaves, will metamorphose into a butterfly.  Both belong to Order Lepidoptera.

No comments:

Post a Comment