Monday, September 9, 2019

Re-creating Heaven-on-Earth on a Wall

Trees for Peace
Re-creating Heaven-on-Earth
Dr Abe V Rotor

Author and artist poses with friends before a huge wall mural complex
he painted for St Paul University QC in 2000

Blood stain on my shirt, my friends were concerned;
     “Go to the clinic,” they urged, pleaded;
My wound was healing then, its stitches stretched
     to the limit. “I’ll be OK, “I said.

Frantic, catching up in the final hour it seemed
     to the last breathe - the ultimate test;
What more in life can you do before its flame
      goes out?  I didn’t care at all to rest.

I saw dark clouds like curtain parting into view
     a landscape so beautiful, so pristine;
I wondered where heaven is - isn’t it on earth?
     this scene in my whole life I hadn’t seen.

Only when the inner you sees beyond the wall;
     “What’s essential is invisible to the eye,”
Exupery’ wrote in The Little Prince, the pilot
      lost in the desert and about to die.

Frankl’s Search for Meaning, Handel’s Hallelujah,
     Hugo’s novels, Rizal’s Last Farewell  
Behind their footsteps least trodden I followed,   
     a heaven-on-earth I’m humbled to tell. ~   

No comments:

Post a Comment