Excessive serving leads to food waste. If not, obesity. Or both. Don't throw away food left on the table. Please don't.
• Food is Santa Gracia (holy grace) as old folks reverently call it.
• Food waste could otherwise go to millions who have not enough to eat.
• Food waste breeds pest and disease, sickens the air.
• Anything that goes to waste draws down the economy.
• Waste widens inequity in resources.
Here are some things to do with food leftovers.
1. Sinagag - fried rice mix with bits of bacon, ham, fried egg, fish, and the like. 2. Torta - tidbits like those mentioned in scramble egg. Include veggies like carrot and onion. 3. Pickle – excess veggies and fruits plus vinegar, sugar and salt, and spices. Good for carrot, bell pepper, cucumber, green papaya, yam (sinkamas), others. 4. Paksiw – if not consumed is fried, makes a new menu. 5. Daing – fish in season is dried, cooked with gata’ (coconut milk). 6. Suka – fruit vinegar from overripe pineapple, banana, others, but not tomato and kamias. 7. Pudding – bread not consumed on time is also made into pizza bread- bread crumbs, garlic bread. 8. Sopas – Grind bones, shrimp head for soup and broth. Bulalo for whole bone. 9. Pastillas – milk powder not consumed on time, also grated hardened cheese. 10. Veggie and fruit peelings – for animal feeds, composting. Include solids from brewing (coffee) and juicing fruits. Ultimately, inevitable food waste is collected for feeds in poultry and piggery.
Food waste also emanates from carelessness in handling, food preparation and serving. Much is also lost due to lack of proper processing, transport and storage facilities. Estimated loss in postharvest alone runs from 10 to 37 percent of actual harvest of crops.
In "Give us this day our daily bread..." in the Lord's Prayer, us here is regarded as thanksgiving and remembering the millions people around the world who may not have the food they need.
I believe in the wisdom of the old folk who reminds us of the value of food. They have experienced hunger during war, drought, flood, crop failure, pestilence - even in normal times. They have not lost sight of the presence ofSanta Gracia.